The Methodist Church in George Street, Warminster

In 1753, Methodist travelling preachers came to Warminster, and preached at The Common, probably drawn by the ill-repute of that place.   Their message fell on receptive ears, and a small group was formed, in 1758 they were meeting in Pound Street, but they suffered much abuse and begged John Wesley to visit Warminster,  he came on October 3rd 1758 and preached in Mr. Bowden’s Tanyard to a numerous and well-behaved congregation.  (Mr. Bowden was a member of the Independent church).   The Methodists continued to meet and preach in the open air despite persecution.  Once a viper was thrown at the preacher.   In 1770 there were fourteen members meeting in Back Street (Emwell Street).   In 1773 a mob broke in and smashed the furniture, threw one member into the ditch, and fatally injured another.  Meetings were then abandoned until we hear they were meeting in 1780 at Deverill Road, and then at Pound Street in 1789, where they continued until 1803, when the decision to build the chapel in Chain Street (now George Street) was made.    Collections were made among other Methodist societies in the area, and with the generous support of the Warminster congregation, the chapel was opened on 24th September 1804 at a cost of £491-4-41/2 .   
Improvements were made in the ensuing years, but in 1861 the chapel was rebuilt and opened on 25th April to become the building still in use today